R100M < R500M
This was a project to replace the obsolete plant data processing computer system of Koeberg Power Station with a modern, state of the art, digital system. The new upgraded system was also required to establish the digital backbone for all non-nuclear systems control at Koeberg Power Station. In addition, the system also had to provide the human machine interface in the control rooms for the newly installed turbine control and protection system.
Project and Contract Management, Project Management Office Support (Planning, Cost-, Value- and Risk Engineering, Configuration and Information Management, Financial Controls, Office Administration and Communications)
Reasons for Complexity
- Digital technology.
- Various technical interfaces to be managed throughout the project (Turbine Control and Protection System Upgrade Project as well as Plant Simulator Upgrade Project).
- Organisational changes required to gear up for new technologies (maintenance organisation, processes and procedures).
- Substantial scope of work to be implemented in very challenging outage windows.
- Technical complexity associated with verification of nuclear applications software (i.e. primary and secondary heat balances).
Points of Interest
- Extensive technical interface management was required to establish and manage the project interfaces with the plant simulator model contractor as well the turbine control and protection system design contractor.
- 18 cabinets were installed per unit requiring 30 000 terminations of which 14 500 terminations were performed during the required outage implementation window of 17 and 14 days of units 1 and 2 respectively (the other connections were performed as part of pre-outage activities).
- A digital systems maintenance group was initiated by the project and has since been established at Koeberg to specifically deal with maintenance, management and control of all digital systems.
- The project was implemented as planned, with no delays to outage critical paths and within the approved, (revision 0), budget.
Turning complex projects into completed projects
We would like to hear from you to enhance your project delivery..